Thursday, February 18, 2016

My Heart is Happy

This is the third post in a series where I am documenting my experiences as a Top 10 Finalist for the Global Teacher Prize.  To read the other posts, click here

The last 48 hours have been a whirlwind of teaching and interviews, but there is one story that I want to share. So far, it's been the most incredible moment since the announcement that I was a Top 10 finalist for the Global Teacher Prize.  One of my Wallenpaupack colleagues who teaches in a different elementary school shared this anecdote about her students' reaction to my selection.

She told me that her students were excited when they heard that I was chosen as a finalist.  Before showing them my finalist video, she asked them how many of them felt like they were capable of changing the world for the better.  None of them raised their hand, and they looked at her like she was crazy.

Then, she played my video for them.

Afterward, she asked them again, "How many of you think now that you can change the world?"

Every one of them raised their hand, and they started sharing ways that they could make a difference in the lives of others.

It just doesn't get any better than that. My heart is happy.